A large window was approved by local runholders who thought a view of the lake from within the church would be an appropriate way of acknowledging their pioneering ancestors. The original roof was wooden shingles, but had to be replaced with the present slates in 1957. The cupboard in the Vestry is made of wood from the Tekapo bridge, demolished in 1954.
The foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Gloucester, and the completed Church was dedicated by the Bishop of Christchurch. Even before the church was finished, ‘The Press’ in Christchurch commented: “The whole effect of the little church is striking and has won the admiration of all who have seen it”